A doorman (or door ambassador as called in most hotels) is an individual hired to provide courtesy and security services at a residential building or hotel. They are particularly common in urban luxury hotels, where a doorman is responsible for opening doors, hailing taxis and screening visitors and deliveries. He will often provide other courtesy services such as signing for packages, carrying luggage for residents and guests.
As a hotel ambassador at the door, a doorman is one of the first ambassadors that a guest comes into contact with at a hotel. The friendly, authentic approach of a doorman creates a unique and personalized guest experience when the guest walks in the door. In many hotels, they believe that every ambassador is an innovator, explorer, and relationship builder, someone who is able to identify the key details that make something uniquely interesting and provide guests with intriguing information about the locale. A successful Door Ambassador will tailor his approach by reading cues from each guest to ensure that they feel at home from the moment they arrive.
Lots of people tip a doorman for no other reason than they happen to like him, in the way they might tip a street musician who brings them pleasure.
Door ambassadors will use their skills, as well as their relationships with others across a hotel (from housekeeping, to parking, to navigator and beyond), to anticipate and deliver on guests’ needs. He or she should be passionate not only about the locale and local offerings, but also enable guests to get the most out of their stay – from greeting guests, to getting them and their luggage to their right places inside and outside of the hotel, to making sure they have the information or transportation they need to get to and from their desired locations.
A doorman role means being on her/his feet and moving around (stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time) and taking a hands-on approach to her/his work (move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance). Doing all these things well (and other things that come her/his way) is the foundation of the job. Ultimately, the real hallmark of the Doorman role is driving a best-in-class guest experience, inspiring guests and associates alike to live life to discover.
Essential duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Welcomes guests upon their arrival in a friendly and caring manner according to hotel standards and holds hotel door for all passing guests.
- Holds car door for all guests coming out of or getting into a taxi or car, provides assistance with their luggage and bring it to the hotel in an efficient and timely manner to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Handles guest requests in a polite and efficient manner such as hailing a taxi or giving directions, refer requests to relevant staff if needed to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Keeps up to date with hotel products/services and promotions as well as on tourist and business traveling information that may be of any interest to our guests.
- Manages traffic before hotel door ensuring that it's smooth and no vehicles block the hotel entrance. Hoist and lower the flags according to the hotel procedures.
- Maintains cleanliness and tidiness of hotel main entrance area.
- Makes sure a safe work environment, follows company policies and procedures, ensures uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional, maintains confidentiality, complies with quality assurance standards, and protects company assets.
- Any other duties, which may be assigned from time to time as directed by supervisor or manager.